Monday, April 28, 2008

Simple things

I have found out that after having Ruthie it's the simple things that bring the most pleasure. It's wonderful to give her things I didn't have, but it brings more pleasure to me to give her the same things I had growing up. Some would say I am not exposing her to the world b/c we live in a rinky-dink town with no stoplight. It's so small. It's crazy. I live 5 minutes away from the house I grew up in. I adore watching her play in my mom & dad's house and enjoy the same things I did. I was able to take her on their 4-wheeler down in the bottoms and along the railroad tracks. I walked those tracks all the time growing up. We rode 4-wheelers in the bottoms and enjoyed the country life. It brings so much joy to my life to watch her grow and love the same things I do. She ADORES the 4-wheeler, so we are going to make it a weekly thing, probably on Saturdays.

Today we enjoyed the weather! We were outside quite a bit while I had kiddos today. After they all left, we sent Randall off to work and went for a walk, b/c Lord knows I need to walk and lose all this fat. We have to drive into town to go for a walk b/c we live on a dirt road. Ruthie loves to ride in the stroller, so we had to have pavement. My back was hurting (b/c I *thought* I could life something a month ago) and I told her it was time to go. She was really upset so I told her we'd go home and get her bike and head to the park. When we got there, I saw one of my high school friends, and she was there with her 3 kiddos. I had a nice time chatting with an ADULT, while Ruthie played with her kids. I was in desperate need of adult conversation. That's one of the downsides to staying at home with kiddos. We had a nice chat. We had to leave b/c Ruthie had to go potty (imagine that!), but it was time for baths and bed anyways. It made for a really nice evening.

She's out for the night, so I need to head to bed as well. I hope everyone had a good Monday!

6 comments:

Mari said...

I like your post title - Simple things. They are usually more important than the other things and I don't think Ruthie is missing out on anything! Glad you got to spend time with an old friend too!

Cheri said...

I totally agree with Mari- Ruthie isn't missing out on anything!
I bet your parents are thrilled that you're right down the road too- lots of time spent with Grandpa and Grandma- what could be better than that!

amy and kids said...

I also grew up in a very small town with only one stop sign, the town consisted of 2 crossroads with the stop sign being the center of town. LOL I have since moved to a bigger city and sometimes I think it would be nice for my kids to grow up in the country like I did. (actually my dh grew up in a very small town too) Sounds like you all had great evening enjoying the outdoors and hanging with your old high school classmate!

Debra said...

Simple is a great thing. Glad you and your daughter had a great day.
I know what you mean about needing an adult conversation...that's why I love the blogging world and making blog friends, it's a small get away!! :-)

Marie Louise said...

Sadie, I know life at home with young kids can be a little boring. I've been there myself. These years with your daughter are wonderful times but make sure that you do things for yourself as well. If you grow as a person and may sure you get all the things out of life that you need for yourself, you will only be a better wife and mother. I wish you the best - you really seem to have your head on your shoulders for someone so young.

Jamie said...

A lot can be said for rinky dink towns. You are doing her a great service!