Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life Lately

It's been hectic around here lately.  I know I am not alone in this!  I am reading blog after blog of everyone's holiday busy-ness.

I have been signing up for classes (FINALLY going back to college), shopping, wrapping, praying, reading, cleaning, decorating, working, clicking (my camera!), and all sorts of stuff.  We are almost finished with Christmas shopping.  I know we are with the kids except for their gift for each other.  We also have our parents to buy for.  That's not too hard though!  I am cleaning b/c we are having Randall's Christmas here at our house.  Have to clean for that right?!?! AND decorate!  I have completed one photoshoot this December and I have a wedding to shoot Friday night!  Yes, you read that right- a wedding.....  I am NOT a professional and she is totally aware of it.  She said if I didn't do it, they would just take some photos themselves, so I agreed.  I am so nervous, but super excited!

I wanted to post on Christmas traditions.  Growing up, our Christmas traditions included tip-toeing down the stairs in the middle of the night (my brothers and sisters and I) and looking through the tissue paper (Santa wraps in tissue paper at my parent's house) and seeing what we got, and then tip-toeing back up to bed so excited!  That was basically it.  I am not complaining! I have great memories of this!

I wanted to start some traditions at my home too.  We do the whole new jammies thing and they open it on Christmas Eve.  I mainly do this b/c I want their jammies to be cute for Christmas pics! (True photographer huh?!)  I am thinking of getting them a new Christmas book and letting them open this on Christmas Eve as well.  My other thought is an advent type thing.  I have seen MANY ideas on Pinterest, but I don't know what I want to do!

My favorite tradition has got to be the one that Emily Anderson does.  Here is a link to her blog.  Santa puts a little scrap of wrapping paper in each child's stocking (wayyyyy in the bottom) and that style of wrapping paper, is what their gifts are wrapped in.  I just LOVE this idea!  She has way more kids ( and patience) than I, but I still think it would be fun!

The other tradition I have read a few times about is getting the child only THREE gifts.  Yes, you read this right- three gifts.  This represents the three gifts the wise-men brought to Jesus.  One they NEED, one they WANT, and one that's a surprise!  I think this is the right way to go seeing that it's so easy to fall into the trap of materialism during Christmas.  I know I have posted on it before, but it bugs me that I feel as though I have to buy tons of stuff for my kids and I fall for it.every.year.  It frustrates me to no end.  I realize we can't start this year, b/c the presents are already bought, but I am seriously gonna give this some thought and some SERIOUS prayer for next year.

What are your traditions you carry on for your family?!?!


Speaking of materialism- this was on FB the other day, and well, I wanted to share again.

No comments: